Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun is committed to employing a variety of environmentally-friendly practices to support and promote sustainable tourism efforts and social responsibility.
Since 2013, Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun has achieved significant and measurable sustainability milestones and has received the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ mark. The requirements for certification are aligned with the Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria. This certification assures the commitment of Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun to reduce the impact of its activities on the planet and local communities.
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun was recently recognized by the Rainforest Alliance in its Exemplary Practices for Sustainable Tourism publication for being a guardian of the reef.
Secrets Maroma Beach is a proud recipient of the Travelife GOLD Certification for its dedication to environmental and socio-economic responsibility. Travelife is an international certification system promoting, managing, and monitoring sustainability within the tourism industry. The assessment criteria for certification includes supporting the local community and the minimization of waste, energy and water use through day-to-day practices.
The goal of MARTI is to integrate sound natural resources management and sustainable practices into tourism development and operations at all scales in the MesoAmerican Reef region, thereby ensuring the region's economic and environmental prosperity.
Amigos de Sian Ka'an is dedicated to environmental conservation and sustainable development. This organization aims to conserve the biodiversity of the area by promoting sustainable socio-economic development of communities and influencing the culture and environmental policies based on science.
· Recycling in 2019 avoided the felling of 231.88 trees that in mature stage give oxygen to 927.52 people.
· The emission of tons of CO2 was avoided by the decomposition of our garbage in the open air.
· 201,391.27 kW/hr equivalent to powering 69 households per year were saved.
· 78.5 tons of organic waste donated to “Rancho Yaman Ek” was donated for use as cattle and compost food
· 97.3 kg of plastic caps were donated to support children with autism from the Kodomo Foundation
· Two visits were made to the Protected Natural Areas “Otoch Max Yetel Ko'oh” and “Xcacel Xcacelito” in which in conjunction with AMResorts hotels 216 trees were planted and 201 kg of garbage were collected in 1 km of beach.
· The cleaning of 10.3 km of beach was carried out collecting 630 kg of garbage
· $104,724.00 MN pesos were donated to Saving our sharks to support environmental research and education to protect sharks and their ecosystems in Mexico
· 70 kg dog croquettes and cleaning items were donated
· About 4,471 items such as clothing, shoes, linens and towels were donated to the community as well as pantries, bench and mats
· 123 school supplies, 14 backpacks and 14 packs of school supplies and 225 toys were donated
· Various activities were carried out in which thousands of articles were donated, thus supporting 11 Mayan institutions and organizations and 4 communities.
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun in its commitment with the constant support to the secluded mayan community El Naranjal, encouraged and implemented the exhibition of their habitants hand-made goods and products so that the employees could boost local economy through fair trade.
Additionally, Secrets Maroma Beach donated school supplies to the local children to improve education and learning conditions, and to ultimately decrease school desertion rates.
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun is committed to implementing several measures to promote and support sustainable tourism and social responsibility efforts.
That is why since 2013 Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun has been Rainforest Alliance certified, due to its commitment to reduce the environmental impact within the resort and in nearby communities, care for and preserve local cultures, to generate more conscious and responsible tourism.
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun carries out a series of actions that together add efforts that farm the path of the resort towards sustainability among them can be listed as follows.
• Separation of waste looking for the best alternative for each of them such as its reuse, recycling, compost, and a suitable final destination.
• Sustainable purchasing policy that prioritizes hiring local suppliers, large presentation products, environmentally friendly or with some sustainability certification.
• Maya communities are supported through various donations that are made on a regular basis.
• Works with the Maya Community "El Naranjal", most of its inhabitants speak Maya; they are supported by the sale in the hotel of their handicrafts as blouses and dresses, making them the ones that promote and expose their products, proud of their origins and thus achieving an economic income for their family.
• This community is also supported by donations of clothing, linens, pantries, school supplies and toys for their little ones.
• The issue of climate change is actively involved with training partners and community on the subject, we also measure the carbon footprint on an annual basis and seek to reduce it in the following year.
• Various donations. A second life is sought to the operating teams themselves that can be useful for various assistance institutions, the delivery of mattresses, glasses, chairs, linens, uniforms, among others.
• Installation of various campaigns disseminated among the staff through which the awareness of social and environmental problems is sought through which various organizations are supported.